Tuesday, December 05, 2006

DUCK


This is a verbatim email I received from my dear friend Toni. Her husband teaches in Oklahoma City- and this is an account of his average Tuesday. Funny thing is Toni is about 8 1/2 months pregnant-- and not only does she have an adorable Boxer. Now, apparently they have a duck for a family mascot. Well at least lil Payne will have something to play with. Too bad Toni's a vegatarian, or else they could have a yummy Christmas dinner with Bret's new find.



So here is how my day started off:
I get my kids to the room around 7:55 and one of my boys looks out the window and says, "Mr. Payne I think that girl is carrying a duck!" So I look out and see the 4th grade girl (that has been assigned to my room for the next two days, because her teacher is at meetings and she struggles with subs) carrying what looks like a live duck. I quickly run up to the front of the building to intercept her before she gets to the front doors. She is walking with nothing in her hands and her backpack on her back. I ask Anna if she was carrying a duck and before she could tell me, I see her backpack wiggle. She says she has it in her backpack and that it is for me. I look in there and sure enough there is a live full grown duck in this girls backpack. So what do I do? I sneak her past the office and take her to one teachers room after another making them open the backpack and wathc them freak out when the see the duck. She chased Joann around her room and sat it on her head (no lie!) It has been a blast. I made a cage for it in our pod and Anna checks on it every hour. Can we keep it? By the way, when we finally took it out of her back pack, it had pooped all over her stuff!
Have a nice day

No comments: